Wanuri’s first feature film FROM A WHISPER, based on the real events surrounding the 1998 twin bombings of US Embassies in Kenya and Tanzania won Best Narrative Feature in 2010 at the Pan African Film Festival in Los Angeles, as well as five awards at the African Movie Academy Award, including Best Director and Best Screenplay. In 2009 Wanuri produced TV documentary FOR OUR LAND about Nobel Peace Prize Laureate Professor Wangari Maathai for MNET, a Pan African cable station. In 2010, her short science fiction PUMZI premiered at SUNDANCE film festival and went on to win best short film at Cannes Independent Film Festival and the silver at Carthage Film Festival (Tunisia).
PUMZI also earned Wanuri the ‘Citta di Venezia 2010’ award in Venice, Italy. She is currently writing an Animation Film in conjunction with TriggerFish, South Africa.
- From a Whisper (2008)
- Pan African Film Festival in Los Angeles (Best Narrative Feature)
- African Movie Academy Awards (5 awards)
- Pumzi (2010)
- Sundance Film Festival
- Venice film festival (Award of the City)
- Rafiki (2018)
- Cannes Film Festival (Un Certain Regard)
- Toronto International Film Festival
- Chicago International Film Festival
- American Film Institute Festival
- Busan International Film Festival
- Göteborg Film Festival
- International Film Festival Rotterdam